So today I decided to try to get the doorstep fitted. This job was a massive ball ache on the passenger side, so I didn't expect it to be easy. The biggest problem is not having a solid reference point to match up the curves. Again, I found lots of trial and error was needed, and inevitably when you find a good fit, you have already trimmed too much metal off. Arg! It also didn't help that the pattern panel was way off the shape it needed to be. I had to make a few extra cuts to line things up...
At the front end, the profile was miles out so I made a long cut to drop the lowest bit down a few mm.
When I had trimmed until I could trim no more, I tacked it all up and test fitted the door. Amazingly it didn't look too bad. Whoop.
Then came lots of welding and grinding. This bit will obviously require a bit more TLC at a later date.
I'm not too unhappy with the result though. Should be able to smooth this area off nicely with body filler.
With the doorstep in place, I made the necessary cuts to the new quarter panel, and offered it up. Not too shabby.
As with the N/S, the pattern doorstep did not include the recess to slot in the quarter panel (grr), so I opted to make an incision and hammer the hidden bit inwards slightly so the quarter can be seamed up smoothly and neatly to the doorstep.
That was as far as I got today, but I already have the companion bin closing panels made up from when I did the other side, so I hope to get this quarter on quite soonish. :)