Sunday 10 June 2012

99 Problems But A Door Step Ain't One.

So today I decided to try to get the doorstep fitted. This job was a massive ball ache on the passenger side, so I didn't expect it to be easy. The biggest problem is not having a solid reference point to match up the curves. Again, I found lots of trial and error was needed, and inevitably when you find a good fit, you have already trimmed too much metal off. Arg! It also didn't help that the pattern panel was way off the shape it needed to be. I had to make a few extra cuts to line things up...

Posted Image

At the front end, the profile was miles out so I made a long cut to drop the lowest bit down a few mm.

Posted Image

When I had trimmed until I could trim no more, I tacked it all up and test fitted the door. Amazingly it didn't look too bad. Whoop.

Posted Image

Then came lots of welding and grinding. This bit will obviously require a bit more TLC at a later date.

Posted Image

I'm not too unhappy with the result though. Should be able to smooth this area off nicely with body filler.

Posted Image

With the doorstep in place, I made the necessary cuts to the new quarter panel, and offered it up. Not too shabby.

Posted Image

As with the N/S, the pattern doorstep did not include the recess to slot in the quarter panel (grr), so I opted to make an incision and hammer the hidden bit inwards slightly so the quarter can be seamed up smoothly and neatly to the doorstep.

Posted Image

That was as far as I got today, but I already have the companion bin closing panels made up from when I did the other side, so I hope to get this quarter on quite soonish. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment