Sunday, 28 April 2013

Crap Bonnet, But I'm Working On it!


Just a small update on the progress with the bonnet.

I decided there would be no hiding from the rust in the bonnet, so the only thing for it was to strip it down and deal with it properly. Here are the dismantled bracing parts in my high-tech chemical bath. (Chemical bath consists of some planks of wood and a shower curtain) 

In goes copious Lidl malt vinegar. 

One week and a hose down later... rust free metal! (ish.)

The outward facing sides were treated with Kurust and primed. The inside surfaces will be POR15'd as they are hidden from view. I have purposefully left the old welds in place in an effort to reassemble this item as accurately as possible.

Meanwhile, I realised the edges of the bonnet skin are reinforced with an extra thickness of steel for rigidity, which had formed a rust sandwich. So those had to be drilled off. I'll make some new ones later.

Then out came the nitromors and strip & clean disc on the angle grinder to remove the old paint. Much noise and dust ensued. My neighbours hate me.

Felt I was on a roll, so I went for the double and boshed the other side too. This panel has now joined the growing stockpile of mini parts living inside the house while it waits to be painted. :)

Looking forward to Himley Hall in a couple of weeks! Might accidentally drop some cash on a part or two. Don't tell my wife!


  1. The vinegar bath is an excellent idea. Great result.

  2. Vinegars are great stain and rust removers, but I think they only work for mild discolorations. For deep-rooted rust and stains, there are more specific product design as remedy. Like for old and thicker rust, there are chemical removal solutions aimed to erase it.

    Tanner Torchia